Monday, March 30th Update:
We want to stay connected with you during this time with Aquatics, Wellness, and Childcare! We will continue to upload videos just for our Y-Members. Click the links below to access videos:
(If your video requires a password, please email [email protected])
Friday, March 20th Update:
Due to the ongoing public health emergency presented by the COVID-19 virus outbreak, we will be temporarily closing the JA Walters Family YMCA effective 7:00 pm tonight (March 20). We anticipate this closure will last at least two weeks but will adapt our plans based on the most current guidance from the CDC and local public health officials.
As a nonprofit community service organization, one of the Y’s top priorities will always be your health and the health of our community. This temporary closure decision was made in order to comply with the current CDC recommendations.
WE ARE BETTER TOGETHER
The Y is so much more than a gym, we are a connected community and service organization. And right now, this is our moment to truly deliver on our promise of service to our community. We are pivoting, repurposing and working to provide programs and services that will be critical in the coming weeks.
MORE THAN EVER, your membership means MORE
As you consider what you can do right now:
Please stay with us during this difficult time and keep your membership active.
By continuing to keep your membership active, you will allow us to maintain the financial resources needed to pivot and focus our time, people and energies where our community needs it most. In particular, our Y is focused on the following key initiatives:
• Offering a crisis child care program for healthcare workers, first responders and “essential” employees so these local heroes can continue to protect our community
• Providing a wide variety of “Programs from a Distance” for the 1,000+ youth that are normally attending our afterschool and sports programs with digital engagement options to keep them happy, healthy and connected (and their parents too)
• Continuing support for our members through online resources such as ActivTrax challenges, a wide variety of group exercise classes and daily devotions
• Reaching out to our active older adult members who may feel isolated, through personal phones calls and connecting online together with a focus on the health of their spirit, mind and body
These are just a few reasons why we need you to stay with us; not just as a Y member, but as a cause-driven leader.
Financial assistance is available
We know some of you may be experiencing significant hardship during this crisis. If so, I encourage you to seek the membership financial assistance available through our charitable Annual Fund program. We, of course, can also place a temporary hold on your membership if there is no other option. But it is our hope and my personal request that you stay with us in service of the greater good we can do together for our community.
If you have any questions, please contact the Y by phone during our office hours:
Monday through Friday from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm – at 770-297-9622 OR directly email our Membership Director, Jinnette Holguin at [email protected]
Thank you again for being a part of the Y, and we will be sure to provide further updates as new information, including a potential reopening date, becomes available.
Amy H. Kienle
President and CEO
Georgia Mountains YMCA
Debido a la emergencia de salud pública en curso presentada por el brote de virus COVID-19, cerraremos temporalmente la JA Walters Family YMCA a partir de las 7:00 pm de esta noche (20 de marzo).
Anticipamos que este cierre durará al menos dos semanas, pero adaptaremos nuestros planes sobre la base de la orientación más actual de los CDC y los funcionarios locales de salud pública.
Como organización de servicios comunitarios sin fines de lucro, una de las principales prioridades de la Y siempre será su salud y la salud de nuestra comunidad. Esta decisión de cierre temporal se tomó con el fin de cumplir con las recomendaciones actuales de los CDC.
SOMOS MEJORES JUNTOS
La Y es mucho más que un gimnasio, somos una comunidad conectada y una organización de servicio. Y ahora mismo, este es nuestro momento para cumplir realmente con nuestra promesa de servicio a nuestra comunidad. Estamos pivotando, reasignando y trabajando para proporcionar programas y servicios que serán críticos en las próximas semanas.
Mas que nunca, su membresía significa más
Como usted considera lo que puede hacer en este momento:
Por favor, quédese con nosotros durante este momento difícil y mantenga su membresía activa.
Al continuar con su membresía activa, nos permitirá mantener los recursos financieros necesarios para pivotar y enfocar nuestro tiempo, personas y energías donde nuestra comunidad más lo necesita. En particular, nuestra Y se centra en las siguientes iniciativas clave:
• Ofrecer un programa de cuidado infantil en crisis para los trabajadores de la salud, socorristas y empleados “esenciales” para que estos héroes locales puedan seguir protegiendo a nuestra comunidad
• Proporcionar una amplia variedad de “Programas desde una Distancia” para los 1.000 jóvenes que normalmente asisten a nuestros programas de posescuela y deportes con opciones de compromiso digital para mantenerlos felices, saludables y conectados (y sus padres también)
• Apoyo continuo a nuestros miembros a través de recursos en línea como desafíos de ActivTrax, una amplia variedad de clases de ejercicios grupales y devociones diarias
• Llegar a nuestros miembros adultos mayores activos que pueden sentirse aislados, a través de llamadas telefónicas personales y conectarse en línea junto con un enfoque en la salud de su espíritu, mente y cuerpo
Estas son sólo algunas de las razones por las que necesitamos que se quede con nosotros; no sólo como miembro de Y, sino como líder impulsado por la causa.
Asistencia financiera está disponible
Sabemos que algunos de ustedes pueden estar experimentando dificultades significativas durante esta crisis. Si es así, lo animo a buscar la asistencia financiera de membresía disponible a través de nuestro programa de caridad del Fondo Anual. Nosotros, por supuesto, también podemos poner una retención temporal en su membresía si no hay otra opción. Pero es nuestra esperanza y mi petición personal que se quede con nosotros al servicio del bien mayor que podemos hacer juntos por nuestra comunidad.
Si tiene alguna pregunta, póngase en contacto con la Y por teléfono durante nuestro horario de oficina:
de lunes a viernes de 3:00 p.m. a 7:00 p.m. – al 770-297-9622 O envíe un correo electrónico directamente a nuestra Directora de Membresía, Jinnette Holguin a
Gracias de nuevo por ser parte de la Y, y estaremos seguros de proporcionar más actualizaciones a medida que haya nueva información, incluida una posible fecha de reapertura.
Wednesday, March 18th Update:
Easter Egg Hunt has been cancelled. Indoor Triathlon has been postponed.
Tuesday, March 17th Update:
NEWEST UPDATE: The safety and well-being of our staff, members, volunteers and guests is always the Y’s top priority. With new information from the CDC and government leaders, as well as guidance from key leadership from our board, we’ve made the decision to close the swimming pools and wet area. We will reduce locker room usage to the Family Locker Room Corridor and Public Bathroom stall.
This is a precautionary measure and we remain committed to helping keep the Georgia Mountains healthy and strong. Our staff will continue working for you throughout this time. Please visit our website for details and check out for exercise classes you can do at home and other offerings coming soon for our members. CLICK HERE.
Please continue to check our social media (@GAMountainsYMCA) and website https://www.gamountainsymca.org/frequent-updates/ for updates.
We appreciate your loyalty to the Y and thank you for your patience and understanding during these uncertain times.
Beginning today, March 17th, ALL group fitness classes, youth sports programs, child watch, adult programs/wellness training, and guest passes are suspended. We will review these programs on March 22nd. Meanwhile, please sign-up for our text message system for Wellness updates at (844) 221-3095 and text “YMCAWELLNESS” in the message.
Monday, March 16th Update:
March 16th, 2020
Dear YMCA Members and/or program participants,
We deeply appreciate your understanding as we navigate the challenging circumstances related to COVID-19. This is a difficult time for our community. Please know we are following the guidance of the Department of Public Health, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and The World Health Organization. At the Y, everything we do is guided by our mission of strengthening communities, and we have an obligation to do all that we can to limit the spread of Coronavirus. The well-being of our members, families, staff and participants remains our top priority. The CDC is currently recommending social distancing and avoiding large groups (50+ people) as an important line of defense in slowing the spread of COVID-19.
We invite you to carefully consider your social interactions, which includes participation in group activities and visits to the YMCA. Yet, we know the YMCA is a daily part of many of your lives, and with the necessary precautions and collective vigilance, our intent is to continue to provide important services. We also know you will act to protect yourself and our communities, and we trust you to use your best judgment.
We are implementing proactive measures at our YMCA to limit exposure and maintain a safe environment. At this time, our facility will remain open, though programs and services will be limited as follows beginning Tuesday, March 17th, 2020.
All youth programs will be postponed through March 22, 2020. At that time, we will reassess the current environment to determine next steps. In the coming weeks, if it is determined that youth programs need to be further postponed or cancelled, we assure you we will work with families to provide credits for paid programs. These programs include:
Sunshine Pre-K, Youth Soccer, Youth Baseball, Swim Lessons, Swim Team, Dance, Birthday Parties, Parent’s Morning/Night Out, Family Fitness Classes, Wellness 101 appointments and Mentoring Program
To meet the need of childcare, we are offering a School’s Out Camp only for those already registered for this program. In order to comply with the new CDC recommendations, beginning Tuesday, March 17th, this program will be relocated to Evangel Church – 1537 Pine Valley Road.
Child Development Center will remain open at this time.
The Child Watch Center will be closed through March 22.
Group Exercise Classes:
Group Exercise classes will be suspended until further notice. We have registered with a YMCA Partner – MOSSA to offer online group exercise classes for you. As soon as we have log-in information, we will distribute it to you via our text messaging service. (To receive text alerts – Text YMCAWELLNESS to (844) 221-3095.)
Programs for our high-risk members, such as LIVESTRONG at the YMCA and Enhance Fitness, have been suspended until March 30th.
Some YMCA equipment that may increase the likelihood of spreading germs will be temporarily unavailable for use, such as basketballs, resistance bands, etc. We also remind all members to join Y staff in wiping down all equipment before and after use.
Personal Training, the Triathlon and Jump Start appointments will be rescheduled.
Pick-Up Basketball will be cancelled until further notice.
No guest passes will be sold until further notice.
If you do visit us, please be advised that we have a new “health check” upon entry of the facility (protocol began Saturday, March 13th). Daily Health Screening for all staff and members:
- Prior to entering the facility, we will offer mandatory sanitizing wipes and temporal temperature checks
- Based on guidance from the CDC, anyone experiencing a persistent cough, a fever over 100.4 degrees, or shortness of breath/difficulty breathing must stay home for 72 hours
We ask that all members and staff continue to follow the guidelines set forth by federal, state and local agencies related to this virus. If you are at a higher risk (age, compromised health, etc.) for serious illness from COVID-19, it is important for you to take actions to reduce your risk of exposure. If you have recently traveled inside or outside of the United States, please avoid visiting the YMCA. As the environment continues to evolve, expect that Y hours of service may be adjusted. In the coming days, we will be working hard to provide you with additional resources to support your active lifestyle. Please be sure to check our website frequently.
Thank you for helping our communities stay safe and healthy. Together we will get through this crisis.
Amy Kienle, CEO
The following Group Fitness Classes are cancelled for this week:
Pedal and Pump @ 12 PM
Pilates @ 4:30 PM
**ALL GROUP FITNESS CLASSES ARE CANCELLED BEGINNING TUESDAY, MARCH 17TH.
The following Programs are suspended until further notice:
Livestrong at the YMCA
Friday, March 13th Update:
- High traffic areas will be disinfected every 3 hours.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.
- If soap and water are not readily available, use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol. Cover all surfaces of your hands and rub them together until they feel dry.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Put distance between yourself and other people.
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze or use the inside of your elbow; throw used tissues in the trash.
- Immediately wash your hands with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, clean your hands with a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily.
- All electronics must be labeled with the child/school’s name (will only be used for school assignments).
- Camp Hours will be 7:00 am through 6:00 pm.
- Parents should drop off by 9:00 am at the side of the building at the J.A. Walters Family YMCA. In order to reduce risk to you and/or your child(ren), we ask parents not to enter the program space. Staff will assist with child check in/out.
- Unfortunately, due to not having an alternate facility, we are unable to offer camp in Dawson or Towns County.
- For Afterschool participants who register for the 3/16 camp week, your previously paid afterschool charge for the week of 3/16 will be applied to the $100 camp fee. The remaining portion will be charged on Monday, March 16th.
- For Afterschool participants NOT attending camp the week of March 16th, your previously paid afterschool charge for the week of 3/16 will be applied to the next available week of Afterschool care once school resumes. We are not issuing refunds at this time.
- If schools are cancelled for next week (March 23rd), we will suspend the Afterschool draft previously scheduled for Friday, March 20th.
- Be currently enrolled in the Afterschool Program.
- All accounts/payments must be paid and up to date.
- CALL the YMCA to register (online registration is not available) – 770-297-9622.